Schoeneberger Funeral Home was established in 1881, an addition to the furniture store which was started in 1878 by Martin Schoeneberger on the lot adjoining the former Schoeneberger residence. Martin was succeeded by his son, the late B.A. Schoeneberger, in 1904, who expanded the business and bought the original downtown Schoeneberger building in 1913. During B.A. Schoeneberger's era, the funeral business progressed from the horse-drawn hearse to the modern funeral car. It was in 1916 the first motorized hearse was purchased.
In 1934, B.A.'s sons, Martin and Al, took the reins. B.A. died in 1941, the same year the funeral chapel adjoining the original building was completed. Martin and Al operated the business as a partnership from 1940 until the ill health of Al forced him to retire in 1966. Al died in 1968. After selling the furniture store in 1972, Martin built a modern, up-to-date funeral home on Third Avenue Southwest in Perham. Because of failing health, Martin and Mary Schoeneberger sold the funeral home to Tom Vertin of Breckenridge, Minnesota. Tom's family has been in funeral service for three generations, and Martin wanted a family with the same values to carry his family's traditions into the future.
Steve Sheets became manager of Schoeneberger Funeral Home in 1978 and in 1981 became part-owner. A major addition and renovation occurred in 1993, giving easy accessibility with modern facilities and off-street parking.
In October, 2007, Hans Larson joined our staff as a Licensed Funeral Director.
In 2016, construction began on a new facility for the community. This property was acquired in recent years for the sole purpose of better serving the funeral service needs of area families going far into the future. The new location was completed in 2017 and opened its doors as Schoeneberger Funeral and Cremation Service during a Grand Opening celebration on June, 11 2017.
The staff and owners at Schoeneberger Funeral & Cremation Service are proud to preserve the values and traditions started by Martin Schoeneberger in 1881.